The Caribbean Economic History Association (AHEC) and the Ana G. Méndez University, Campus of Carolina convene the VI Congress in Puerto Rico, between November 1 and 4, 2021.
The main theme of the Congress will be:« Thinking the Caribbean in times of crisis.Challenges for economic history »The AHEC invites researchers who are interested in the economic history of the Caribbean, to participate with an unpublished paper in one of the following sections, trying to establish its relationship with the central theme of the call in a global context:
- Immigration, wages and living standards
- Immigration, remittances and financial capital
- Debt and economic policy
- Foreign direct investment and economic growth
- Urbanization and urban latifundismo
- Styles of economic growth and the role of direct foreign investment
- Regional disparities
- Inequality (s) and urbanization patterns
- Grassroots economies, informality and poverty
- Inequality (s) and production systems – economic agents (productive structures, trade and slave systems, labor regimes, companies and Businessmen)
- Economic mechanisms for the transmission of inequalities and poverty
- Inequality (s) and productive sectors
- Inequality (s) and poverty
- Economic crises and poverty
- Labor markets, inequality and poverty
- Productive/extractive cycles and environmental impact
- Economic-ecological history, social metabolism, unequal appropriation ofresources and impact on sustainability
- Economic decrease and ecologically unequal exchange
- Informal economy and agrarian concentration
- Production system – economic agents (production structures; trade and slave systems; work regimes; companies and entrepreneurs)
- Production and export of raw materials (main lines of production and services; agricultural and plantation history)
- Natural resources (exploitation of natural resources; historical forms and environmental impact)
- Mining and energy sources
- Services and tourism
- International trade (foreign trade and other links with the international economy)
- Banks and financial systems
- Economic thought
- Economic historiography
PRESENTATION OF PROPOSALS
- The deadline for receiving proposals for the Congress is May 15, 2021. The proposals may have a collective nature (composition of tables: theme and participants originally planned) or may be individual, in which case the authors must indicate the section in which they wish to be registered, with the organization assigning their paper to a table. The proposals will be accompanied by a brief description of their content of about 100 words.
- Proposals must be submitted by email (in triplicate) to the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On June 30, 2021 the Organization will make public the list of proposals accepted and the provisional program of the congress.
- The ordinary registration period in the Congress and the Association will take place between July 1 and July 31, 2021.
5. The registration that will entitle to participate in the sessions of the Congress and the affiliation to the AHEC for one year is set at 80 USD. The registration of students who accredit this condition are fixed at 40 USD. The fees will be valid until July 31, 2021.
6. Registration fees processed between August 1 and October 30, 2021 are set at 120 USD for ordinary members and 60 USD for students.
7. The registration fees paid during the Congress are set at 140 USD for ordinary members and 60 USD for students.
8. Registration fees may be paid by PayPal or else in cash at the local Secretariat of the Congress, enabled at the headquarters of its celebration during the opening date.
INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE
Executive Committee (2017-2019):
Guy Pierre, President of Honor
Jorge Elías Caro, President
Javier Aleman, Executive Secretary
Inés Roldán de Montaud, Treasurer
Ronny J. Viales, Vocal
Imilcy Balboa, Vocal
Graciela Chailloux, Vocal
Jean Stubbs, Vocal
Rafal Reichert, Vocal
Félix Huertas, Vocal
Michael Toussaint, Vocal
Pascale Villegas, Vocal
Herbert S. Klein
Frank Moya Pons
José Antonio Piqueras
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Javier Alemán (coordinator)
Félix Huertas Evelyza
Crespo Humberto García
Summons: Caribbean Economic History Association (AHEC)Ana G. Méndez University, Campus of Carolina, Puerto Rico